Festival for Pianists
"My playing improved and I really enjoyed playing piano with other people"
- Collaborative Piano program participant 2012
Open to pianists aged 9-18. Join us for five days of activities designed to bring pianists together in a fun, interactive program.
- Open to any pianist, you do not need to study at WCMS to participate
- Make new friends, share music together
- Build musicianship skills that go far beyond what is taught in the regular your weekly piano lesson
- Performance for family and friends at the end of the program!
June 27 - July 2 (Thur, Fri, Sat, Mon, Tues)
9 AM to 2:45 PM daily (with optional Master Class Track extension to 4:00 PM on Friday and Monday)
Heather Bissell, Jorge Ibanez, Jinie Kim-Han, John Kramer, Barbara Lieurance, Norina Rowen, Olga Talroze, Rieko Tanaka, Sarah Tocco, Aimee Tsuchiya
New for 2013!
- Extended program hours features classes in piano mechanics as well as lectures on musical style focusing on music from the Romantic and Contemporary periods.
- A Festival Choir led by Norina Rowen - Come raise your voice in song and move to the music. "There can be no greater sense of community than that found within a choir." - Zoltan Kadaly
- Electives in Composition and Improvisation where you learn varying accompaniment techniques, melodic and rhythmic variation, and harmonization.
- Individual practice time and learning to play the 8-bar blues. (Well Rounded participants)
- All Festival participants receive coaching in full body relaxation techniques and strengthening exercises to improve posture and sound production at the piano. This will include the best combination of exercises derived from Alexander Technique, The Kovacs Method, Pilates, and yoga.
- Collaborative Piano (Ages 9-18) Full for 2013 4-hands, 6-hands, the more the merrier! This course is geared toward later beginners and intermediate students and provides an opportunity for duet playing, ensembles, and a "hands-on" music theory class designed to help students learn and practice their intervals, scales, and chords.
- The Well-Rounded Pianist (Ages 11-18) This course is designed for intermediate to advanced pianists and provides classes in musical style, the history of the piano/piano mechanics, applied keyboard techniques, improvisation, and music theory.
- Master Class Track (Ages 11-18) This is an optional track for the Well-Rounded Pianist or more advanced Collaborative participants. (Audition/Interview and discretion of the Program Director are required.) It offers two performance master classes in which participants will prepare one or two solo pieces for performance on the final concert. This component of the program meets from 2:45 to 4 PM on Friday and Monday. Space limited to just four participants.
All participants (Collaborative or Well-Rounded) should prepare a piece to play for the Program Director to assess each student's level and to assign music. Please contact WCMS
to arrange to speak with the Program Director.
In addition, each participate must submit a teacher recommendation form. Download the form here
Once the placement process has been completed, submit a Summer 2013 Registration Form
- Master Class Track: additional $125
Playing the Blues
(2 days only - TBD)