The Vocal Factor - A Singing Competition!
Preliminary Round: Saturday, April 6, 2019 - 6:30 pm
(for contestants only)
Competition Round: Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 7:30 pm
(with live audience)
Tickets are on sale now! Due to the limited number of tickets available, tickets are available ONLY from our front office, in person or by phone (781-721-2950). Two tickets are reserved for the families or guests of each contestant; the remaining tickets are available on a first come, first serve basis. $10 general admission.
WCMS will hold its fourth annual singing competition this April for enrolled voice students between the ages of 10 and 18. We welcome all singers and genres, from Broadway to Classical to Rock to Jazz. Private voice lesson students and Voice Works students are eligible (with teacher recommendation).
The competition is conducted in two rounds. The preliminary round, on April 6, consists of an a cappella audition in front of three judges. For the competition round on April 27, final contestants will perform with a backing music track in front of a live audience. All finalists will receive an MP3 recording of their performance.
- Senior Division: Ages 14-18 (or still in high school, as of 4/27/2019)
- Junior Division: Ages 10-13 (as of 4/27/2019)
- 1st Prize, Senior Division = $100 cash and a 90-minute recording session, with an additional 30 minutes of editing/mixing time
- 1st Prize, Junior Division = $50 cash and a 90-minute recording session, with an additional 30 minutes of editing/mixing time
- 2nd Prize, either division = $25 iTunes gift card
- Honorable Mention, either division = $10 iTunes gift card
Judges will include:
- Doug Hodgkins, Choral Arts Teacher & Musical Theater Director, Town of Lynnfield
- Holly Zagaria, mezzo-soprano, professional vocalist
- Mike Loria, professional musician & WCMS trustee
- Sara Schwindt, Assistant Director of WCMS; professional vocalist & choral conductor
- Scott Janovitz, music producer & WCMS recording engineer