Summer Piano Festival (Ages 9-18)
"This was the funnest camp ever and I loved it here!" - 2015 participant, age 10
"It was very organized and there were fun workshops ... I can now analyze a Bach Chorale!" - 2015 participant, age 11
"I understand the music I play much more now. The theory and improv taught me to look at my music in an analyzing way. It's a great program." - 2015 participant, age 14
Open to pianists ages 9-18. Join us for five days of activities designed to bring pianists together in a fun, interactive program.
- Open to any pianist (you do not need to study at WCMS to participate)
- Make new friends, share music together
- Build musicianship skills that go far beyond what is taught in your weekly piano lesson
- Classes in musical style, two levels of improv, and three levels of music theory
- Coached practice sessions
- Special workshops
- All Festival participants receive coaching in full body relaxation techniques and strengthening exercises to improve posture and sound production at the piano. This will include the best combination of exercises derived from Alexander Technique, Feldenkrais, and Dalcroze eurhythmics. In addition, students learn how to plan a balanced practice session and explore the three basic types of touch at the piano.
- All participants receive a t-shirt commemorating the week-long Festival
- Performance for family and friends at the end of the program!
Dates: July 10 - 14, 2017 (Monday - Friday)
with final concert on Friday, July 14 at 4:00 PM
Times: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM daily
Program Director: Heather Bissell
Instructors: WCMS faculty and guest artists
- Piano Ensemble (Ages 9-18) Limited to 24 participants
4-hands, 6-hands, the more the merrier! This course is geared toward later beginners and intermediate students and provides an opportunity for duet playing, ensembles, a "hands-on" music theory class, and two levels of improvisation:
- Music Discoveries: Using imagination to explore the instrument in terms of rhythm and sound in order to create a story using music.
- Piano Creations: Taking exploration at the piano a bit further, to include variation, musical form, and compositions.
- The Well-Rounded Pianist (Ages 11-18) Limited to 8 participants
This course is designed for intermediate to advanced pianists and provides classes in musical style, the history of the piano/piano mechanics, applied keyboard techniques, improvisation, and music theory. A piano ensemble class provides a fun and interactive way to apply music theory skills such as harmonization and ear training as well as introduction to score reading.
- Master Class Track (Ages 11-18) Limited to 8 participants
This is an optional track for the Well-Rounded Pianist or more advanced Piano Ensemble participants. (Audition/interview and discretion of the Program Director are required.) It offers two performance master classes in which participants will prepare one or two solo pieces for performance on the final concert. This component of the program meets from 4:00 to 5:00 pm on two days TBD.
To participate: All participants (Piano Ensemble or Well-Rounded) should prepare a piece to play for the Program Director to assess each student's level and to assign music. There are 24 spaces in the Piano Ensemble program and 8 spaces in the Well-Rounded program.
- on Friday, April 7, 7:30-8:30 pm or Sunday, April 9, 1-5 pm. If you are unable to audition on either of these dates, please call 781-721-2950 to make other arrangements.
- Once the audition process has been completed and you have been notified of acceptance into the program, we encourage you to register immediately to save your spot. For Piano Ensemble participants, the deadline to enroll is Saturday, May 13. Participants must be age 9-18 for Piano Ensemble, or age 11-18 for Well-Rounded or Master Class, as of June 1, 2017.
T-Shirt Art Contest: Would you like to design the 2017 Summer Piano Festival t-shirts? Submit your digital or hand drawn art to Heather Bissell by May 1, 2017. The artist of our selected design will receive $100 off tuition! Click here for complete contest information and guidelines.
- Piano Ensemble or Well-Rounded sections: $600, plus $15 registration fee for non-WCMS students
- Master Class Track (additional): $125
Students who require extra lessons to help learn their music will be charged regular summer tuition rates.
|9:00 AM||Group Warm-up|
|9:45 AM||Ensemble Coaching||Music Theory|
|10:15 AM||Snack Break|
|10:30 AM||Music Theory Workshops Music Theory (cont.)|
|11:15 AM||Ensemble Coaching||Individual Practice|
|1:00 PM||Piano Discoveries/
|2:00 PM||Festival Choir|
|3:00 PM||Ensemble Practice||Piano Lab/
|4:00 PM||Master Classes