Remote Learning Guide: If your lessons with Jessica Lizak are being held remotely, please review these set-up recommendations and technology requirements.
Studio Policy: A handy reference sheet for lessons with this teacher
My affinity and passion for music seemed to always have existed. A dream come true, I carried my first flute home with me on that first day mesmerized by its possibilities and determined to make them realities. I grew up listening to the virtuosic solos in Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, and Beethoven. The opportunities to recreate these magical sounds and work with other great musicians became the most exhilarating moments of my life. I was convinced that this was my destiny.
As a dedicated musical artist, I commit myself to the sincerest interpretations and most enthusiastic performances, which foster unique treasures in time and express emotions deeper than words could ever depict. Throughout my years as a performer, I have simultaneously cultivated my teaching skills. I realized that teaching was just as necessary an avenue to express my art as was the stage. Eager students have continually stimulated my passion for teaching. They seek my personalized approaches, which combine original methods with the methods from my flute heritage.
By helping students discover the raw talents embedded within themselves and then shaping it into their own voices, I constantly adapt my teaching to serve the student best. To see a student accept and nurture the seeds of advice into maturity is the greatest reward for any teacher. Student successes arrive in many forms, just as the same seeds may sprout into different, yet equally beautiful blooms.
- Doctor of Musical Arts, Boston University 2008
- Master of Music, New England Conservatory 2001
- Bachelor of Music, University of Michigan 1999
- Principal Flute - Atlantic Symphony Orchestra, Marsh Chapel Collegium, Gardner Museum Chamber Orchestra, Arneis Chamber Ensemble
- Section Flute/Piccolo - Orchestra of Indian Hill, Opera Boston, Boston Modern Orchestra Project (BMOP), Cantata Singers Orchestra, New World Symphony, Albany Symphony
- Festival Fellowships - Tanglewood Music Center, Music Academy of the West, Domaine Forget, Interlochen
- Awards - 1st Prize Pappoutsakis Flute Competition, 2nd Prize Myrna Brown International Flute Competition, Honorable Mention National Flute Association's Young Artist Competition and Orchestral Competition, Boston University Outstanding Achievement Award
- Solo Performances - National Flute Association's National Convention, Greater Boston Flute Association, Atlantic Symphony, Orchestra of Indian Hill, WGBH Radio, Carnegie Hall, Jordan Hall
- Teachers - Leone Buyse, Geralyn Coticone, Marianne Gedigian, Elizabeth Ostling, Rene Krimsier, Fenwick Smith, Jeff Zook
- Masterclasses - Julius Baker, Samuel Baron, Jeanne Baxtresser, Tim Day, Goran Marcusson, Alain Marion, Lorna McGhee, Emmanuel Pahud, Amy Porter, Paula Robison, Elizabeth Rowe, Joshua Smith, John Wion, among others
- Performances with Gidon Kremer and the Kremerata Baltica, Reinbert de Leeuw, Bernard Haitink, Paavo Jarvi, Neeme Jarvi, James Levine, Yo Yo Ma, Itzhack Perlman, Robert Spano, Dawn Upshaw, Mark Wigglesworth
- Recordings with BMOP, Tanglewood Music Center Festival Orchestra, Natalie Merchant, Tim Janis
- Other Faculty Positions - Lexington Community Education--Fine Arts Department, Boston Youth Symphony, New England Conservatory Prep Division
- Please visit my website: www.jessicalizak.com