Remote Learning Guide: If your lessons with Jinie Kim-Han are being held remotely, please review these set-up recommendations and technology requirements.
Music has the power to inspire us and move us differently, depending on experiences and circumstances we encounter. Although my musical training began when I was five in my own country, Korea, a turning point in my study occurred when I moved to the U.S. with my family at the age of fifteen. While I felt overwhelmed with the newness of the language and the unfamiliar surroundings, I was astonished by the compelling, stirring power that music exerted into my inner world. I found myself delving into music far more deeply than I thought possible before. I was further encouraged by the inspiring teachers who instilled in me their own sense of wonder and excitement for music.
The most important thing I aim to teach my students is that the experience of learning music is essentially a positive affirmation of oneself that stimulates our senses and imagination. I want them to believe that they can do it, that they can make it, whether they are learning a C major scale or a Chopin Nocturne. My role as a teacher is then to develop a partnership with each of my students and engage in the very process of discovery. What is most rewarding as a teacher is when we can arrive at the moments of "Yes! It's working!" and "You've got it!", when we can share the exhilarating moments of affirmation together.
- Bachelor of Music Degree with High Distinction, Eastman School of Music
- Master of Music, Northwestern University
- Doctor of Musical Arts, University of Washington
- Prize recipient of Presser award, Eastman School of Music
- Performed at the International Computer Music Festival, held at Eastman School of Music
- Performed as a soloist and as a collaborative musician in the Northwest and New England
- Former faculty, Powers Music School; Former staff accompanist, Longy School Music Preparatory Division
- Studies with David Burge, Bela Siki, and Alan Mandel
- Member, Pi Kappa Lambda