Music Theory (for Kids, Teens & Adults)
Select from six classes that cover a wide range of music theory topics for kids, teens, and adults:
- Meet the Notes (Ages 7–10) -- click here for information
- Music Theory: Levels 1 & 2 (Ages 12–18)
- Music Theory: Fundamentals (Adults)
- Music Theory: Musicianship (Ages 10–12)
- Music Theory: Fundamentals (Ages 12–18)
- Music Theory: Creating Harmony at the Keyboard (Ages 12–Adult)
Music Theory: Levels 1 and 2 (ages 12–18)
This class covers the concepts of all major and minor scales, modes, triads, chord inversions and tensions, sight singing, ear training, and melodic & rhythmic dictation. A pre-test will be given to assess the core knowledge of the class participants and to determine the breadth and depth of topics that will be covered. Weekly homework and practice is expected. Pre-requisite: Music Theory Fundamentals or by permission of instructor.
Tuition: $568 (16 weeks)
|Tuesday||5:15 - 6:15 pm||Vartan Aghababian||16 weeks||Begins Feb. 4|
Music Theory: Fundamentals (Adults)
The "adult version" of our theory classes for kids & teens! Based upon the class participants' basic knowledge of theory concepts, we'll cover a variety of topics to help you better understand the nuts and bolts of music fundamentals. Concepts will include clef reading, key signatures, intervals, ear training, and rhythm. We'll dig deeper as time and interest allows. There will be weekly assignments to complete on your own at home. This 8-week class is a great supplement to your own private music lessons or for parents who want to better understand what their children are learning.
Tuition: $284 (8 weeks)
|Tuesday||6:15 - 7:15 pm||Vartan Aghababian||8 weeks||Begins Feb. 4|
|Tuesday||6:15 - 7:15 pm||Vartan Aghababian||8 weeks||Begins April 7|
* For further registration details and policies, including cancellation of under-enrolled classes, click here.
Music Theory: Musicianship (ages 10–12)
Offered as a "jump start" in music theory for kids 60-minute classes run 6-8 weeks each and focus on specific topics of music fundamentals. Each section focuses on one topic—take all four sections, or pick and choose the areas that will benefit you most! Weekly homework and practice is expected.
- Clef Reading: At long last, solidify your reading in treble, bass, and other clefs!
- Ear Training: A chance to explore the sound of intervals, scales, and harmonies!
- Intervals: Understanding the nitty-gritty of these two-note creatures!
- Rhythm: Rhythmic reading and execution for those claiming to have no rhythm!
Music Theory: Fundamentals (ages 12–18)
Dig deeper beyond your private lessons to become more proficient with note reading, key signatures, scales, intervals, ear training, time signatures, and rhythm. This class expands your knowledge to help you get to the next level with your singing and playing. Weekly homework and practice is expected.
Creating Harmony at the Keyboard (Ages 12–Adult)
Have you ever wondered how some people can sit down at the piano and harmonize to a song without having to the music off a page? Our 8-week keyboard harmony class will give you the skills to do just that by becoming more comfortable with chord progressions, modulations, and more. You'll learn the building blocks of music that will also enable you to start creating your own compositions. Participants should be comfortable with playing all major scales on a piano or keyboard before enrolling in this class.
Class Days & Times: Coming in Fall 2020