Summer Chamber Music Festival (Ages 9–19)
2021 Summer Chamber Music Festival
The remainder of this page will be updated when 2021 details are finalized. Stay tuned!
From Summer 2020: This two-week chamber music program provides an in-depth, immersive experience for young musicians that includes chamber and solo studies, private lessons, master classes, music appreciation & special topic classes, individual practice time, and recreational electives such as arts & crafts, games, and music trivia. We will retain the structure of the program that so many have known and loved, now translated to the digital world.
Although an online format is new for all of us, we are committed to providing valuable and vibrant music learning for our students and a sense of connection to our community during these challenging and uncertain times. Please join us—from wherever you are! Distance is no obstacle this summer!
Audition deadline: June 8, 2020
- Video not to exceed 8 minutes total
- Perform one or two scales of your choice
- Perform two contrasting pieces, or two contrasting sections of a piece
- Complete an Audition Form along with your Audition Video
- Upload both files to the SCMF Dropbox—email us for the link or to ask any questions
- Submission Deadline: June 8, 2020
Festival Dates: Monday, July 20 – Friday, July 31, 2020
Time: 9:00 AM–2:45 PM, Monday–Friday
- Placement based on audition
- All orchestral instruments, pianists, and classical guitarists are welcome to participate
- We ask that string players either know how to tune or have someone at home who can assist with tuning
During our two week program, SCMF students will engage in synchronous (on Zoom) and asynchronous activities:
- Morning Meeting and Daily Guided Warmups - by instrument, focusing on a specific technique each day
- Private Lessons - for one assigned chamber piece and a solo work of student’s choice (five 45-minute private lessons come with tuition; more may be added as needed and desired—we recommend dividing up the lessons so that students receive guidance before the festival to prepare music and during the festival to refine playing for student performances)
- Chamber Group Coaching - sessions will focus on the valuable and fundamental work of finessing individual parts, score reading, rhythm work, discussion of ensemble playing techniques and nuances, study of recordings, creative interpretations, preparing parts for video recording, working together to produce a video group performance using technology, and so much more!
- Daily Individual Practice Time
- Masterclasses by Instrument
- Solo Performances from Home - all performances will be recorded for viewing for family and friends
- Special Topics - enrichment classes with guest artists, workshops in composition & sound engineering, Art (in a box), and exploring other disciplines
- Music Appreciation
- Recreational Electives - music trivia, games, journaling, and arts & crafts
- Lunch and Break Time
- “Watch Party” of Group Performances and Slide Show - on the last day of the festival
Artistic Director: Yun Lee
Administrative Directors: Laurie Russell and Sara Schwindt
Questions? Please contact the program directors with any questions about the program!
Festival Tuition: $1,325 plus $25 materials fee
Auditions: A placement audition is mandatory for everyone. Participants must be age 9–18 as of June 1, 2020. See instructions above for submitting a Video Audition and an Audition Form by the June 8 deadline. Once the audition process has been completed and you have been notified of acceptance into the program, our registrar will contact you to complete the enrollment process.
Great summer program! It definitely energizes the young musicians and strengthens their skills. - parent of a 12-year-old SCMF participant
The commitment shown by the faculty and students alike was phenomenal. The teachers' enthusiasm was infectious, and the kids really fed off that and strived to do their best for their fellow musicians, their mentors, and themselves. - parent of a 15-year-old SCMF participant
Our daughter attended the Summer Chamber Music Festival for two weeks this year and we couldn't be more thrilled. Every day she came back happy and excited about the program and the social interactions. We noticed her performance increased in quality in less than one week. The wonderful coaches and instructors at SCMF made the experience fruitful and fun. We will definitely come back for the program next year. - parent of a 15-year-old SCMF participant
My child has participated in numerous camp experiences. This one is unique in that it creates a social culture of learning and innovation where close relationships are formed. I don't know how they manage to do this in just two weeks!—parent of a SCMF participant