Summer Piano Festival (Ages 8-18)
Audition Dates: All audition slots are full, but we encourage you to sign up for the wait list by clicking on any of the dates below. We will contact you if an audition spot opens up.
|Saturday, April 29, 3-5 PM||Saturday, May 6, 3-5 PM||Saturday, May 13, 3-5 PM|
Join us for five days of activities designed to bring pianists together in a fun, interactive piano ensemble program. Participants enjoy the social aspects of playing in an ensemble with one another, as well as learning the skills to play in a small group. The Summer Piano Festival has been adapted and reimagined to be safely offered in person, following current COVID protocols.
- Open to any pianist, ages 8-18 (you do not need to study at WCMS to participate); younger students may be considered at the discretion of the Artistic Director
- Each student is coached daily in a 4- or 6-hand piano ensemble
- Build musicianship skills that go far beyond what is taught in your weekly piano lesson
- Core classes will include piano repertoire, music theory, and piano technique
- Option to perform a solo piece in addition to ensemble
- Lunchtime games, fun musical activities, and talent show
- Final concert for family and friends at the end of the program!
Festival Dates: Monday, July 10 - Friday, July 14, 2023
Times: 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM, Monday–Friday
plus final concert on Friday, July 14 at 3:00 PM
Artistic Director: Asako Shibata
Administrative Directors: Laurie Russell and Sara Schwindt
Please contact the administrative directors with any questions about the program!
Summer Piano Faculty: Dana Dalton, Kaeza Fearn, Peter Morelli, Connie Reisdorf, Asako Shibata, Rieko Tanaka, Sarah Tocco, Miriam Conti Vanoni
- $775 + $25 materials fee
- Payment options: Pay in full at time of acceptance into program, or choose a split payment (50% tuition + materials fee upon acceptance, with balance due by June 15)
- Financial aid may be available
- Students who require extra lessons to help learn their music will be charged regular summer tuition rates.
Enrollment Information: A placement audition is mandatory for everyone. Participants must be age 8–18 as of June 1, 2023. Please complete an Audition Form to bring with you to the audition. All audition slots are full, but we encourage you to sign up for the wait list by clicking on any of the dates below. We will contact you if an audition spot opens up.
Audition Dates: Sign up online to join the wait list for auditions
- Applicants should play one major or minor scale of their choice
- One polished piece
- Assessment of music theory knowledge
- Sight reading
Once the audition process has been completed and you have been notified of acceptance into the program, our registrar will contact you to complete the enrollment process.
COVID Information: We strongly encourage all participants to be fully vaccinated and, if eligible, boosted. Learn more about our current COVID-19 protocols and enrollment policies.
This was the funnest camp ever and I loved it here! - Piano Festival participant, age 10
It was very organized and there were fun workshops ... I can now analyze a Bach Chorale! - Piano Festival participant, age 11
I understand the music I play much more now. The theory and improv taught me to look at my music in an analyzing way. It's a great program. - Piano Festival participant, age 14