Summer Piano Festival (Ages 8-18)
2022 Summer Piano Festival
Auditions: Scheduled audition dates have concluded, and the program is full. Please check back next year!
Join us for five days of activities designed to bring pianists together in a fun, interactive piano ensemble program. Participants enjoy the social aspects of playing in an ensemble with one another, as well as learning the skills to play in a small group. The Summer Piano Festival has been adapted and reimagined to be safely offered in person, following current COVID protocols.
- Open to any pianist, ages 8-18 (you do not need to study at WCMS to participate); younger students may be considered at the discretion of the Artistic Director
- Each student is coached daily in a 4- or 6-hand piano ensemble
- Build musicianship skills that go far beyond what is taught in your weekly piano lesson
- Core classes in piano repertoire, improvisation, and music theory
- Warm-ups each morning with movement & rhythm activities
- Special workshops in understanding the mechanics of the piano as well as how to present yourself on stage and feel comfortable performing in front of an audience
- Lunchtime games, fun musical activities, and art making
- Final concert for family and friends at the end of the program!
Festival Dates: Monday, July 11 - Friday, July 15, 2022
Times: 8:55 AM - 3:00 PM, Monday–Friday
plus final concert on Friday, July 15 at 3:30 PM
Artistic Director: Asako Shibata
Administrative Directors: Laurie Russell and Sara Schwindt
Please contact the administrative directors with any questions about the program!
- $725 + $25 materials fee
- Payment options: Pay in full at time of acceptance into program, or choose a split payment (50% tuition + materials fee upon acceptance, with balance due by June 15)
- Financial aid is available
- Students who require extra lessons to help learn their music will be charged regular summer tuition rates.
Enrollment Information: The 2022 program is full. A placement audition is mandatory for everyone. Participants must be age 8–18 as of June 1, 2022. Please complete an Audition Form to bring with you to the audition.
- Applicants should play one major or minor scale of their choice
- One polished piece
- Demonstrate an ability to play major and minor chords
- Sight reading
Once the audition process has been completed and you have been notified of acceptance into the program, our registrar will contact you to complete the enrollment process.
This was the funnest camp ever and I loved it here! - Piano Festival participant, age 10
It was very organized and there were fun workshops ... I can now analyze a Bach Chorale! - Piano Festival participant, age 11
I understand the music I play much more now. The theory and improv taught me to look at my music in an analyzing way. It's a great program. - Piano Festival participant, age 14